LPG fire safety tips

What Are The Potential Fire Hazards From An LPG?

As we, at Beyond Carlton, have repeatedly quoted the data from NCRB 2011-2014, LPG gas bursts have claimed 19491 lives in 5 years in India. LPG is widely used in Indian kitchens. Most of the residential fire accidents in India are caused by LPG.

4 Potential Hazards From An LPG

1 Fire from leakage

Fire from accidental leakage from the gas tubes or explosion due to accumulated gas from the leakage is one of the leading causes of fire accidents.

What causes leakage of LPG?

  • Tubes with holes or worn-out tubes connecting LPG and the stove
  • Poor maintenance of stove
  • Not switching off the cylinder or stove when not in use.

To prevent fires from LPG leakage, you must use tubes that are recommended by the service provider. Also, you should check for the date of expiry and replace old tubes as and when necessary. Even if you are leaving your house for a short duration, shut off the cylinder to prevent accidental leakage.

Poor maintenance of the stove also causes gas leakage. Keep the stovetop clean of greases and dirt accumulation. Even if you suspect a small leakage, get it checked by the authorized person immediately. Store the phone numbers of the emergency contact numbers issued by your gas agency. This may come handy in case of leakages.

2 Careless usage or poor handling

There is a potential fire hazard if the LPG is not stored in a proper way. Not storing an LPG in an upright position or storing combustible elements close to LPG or storing below the ground level could cause fires. Here are a few points to consider:

  • Do not store combustible materials near LPG, eg: wood, cloth, paper, etc.
  • Store the LPG in an upright position on the ground level.
  • Do not store two gas cylinders in the same place.
  • If you suspect gas leakage, contact the emergency numbers provided by your agent. Never check the gas leakage with naked flames

3 Unattended cooking

House fires are often caused by food catching fire. These accidental fires could lead to a big disaster as we use LPG in our kitchens. Do not leave cooking unattended even for a short duration.

4 Suffocation due to inhalation

Though this is not a fire hazard, suffocation due to inhalation of LPG could be fatal. Prolonged inhalation of LPG could damage the lungs and could cause death due to suffocation. If there is a prolonged inhalation of LPG, it is advisable to seek medical help immediately. Not only inhalation, if there is an eye contact with LPG, rinse it thoroughly with water and seek medical assistance. To prevent accidental inhalation of LPG, it is advisable to use electronic gas leak sensors in your kitchen. These devices are available in online shops.

What should you do if there is a gas leak?

If you do not know how to handle a gas leak, then it could be dangerous. The infographics show what you should do in case of a gas leak. Prevent fires by being attentive while cooking.

LPG gas leak dos and don'ts

What are the common causes of cooking fires?

  • Unattended cooking
  • LPG leakage
  • Grease and oil spills
  • Stocking combustible materials like kerosene, alcohol, etc near the stove.

Kitchen Fire Safety Tips

  1. Keep kids away from gas stoves and microwaves while cooking.
  2. While using cooking oil, keep children away and use it in the right sized pans.
  3. Clean the hob and chimney regularly.
  4. Have a fire extinguisher installed and know how to use it.
  5. Tuck in the saree ends and duppatas well while cooking. Don’t keep the waste cloth or tissue rolls near gas stove.
  6. Read the safety instructions before using a new microwave oven. Use only microwave containers.
  7. Close the cylinder valve when not in use. Unused cylinders should be stored in a well-ventilated area. It should be stored upright. Do not use petrol or any other inflammable liquids near the cylinder.
  8. If a pan catches fire due to oil, don’t use water. With water, the fire would spread quickly and can cause severe burns. Instead, close the pan with a lid.

What is PNG?

Do we only use LPG in India? No, in many cities Piped Natural Gas (PNG) is widely used as an alternative to LPG. PNG is methane, as goes with the name, natural gas. Since it cannot be stored, it is supplied directly to the households from the source with the help of tubes.





Propane, butane



Heavier than air tends to settle at the floor level during leakage. The highly combustible causes extensive loss of life and property

Since it is lighter than air, in case of leakage it gets dispersed fast.

Fire hazard


Catches fire when it forms 2% or above mixture with air


Catches fire when it forms 5-15% mixture with air



LPG is available in cylinders.


PNG cannot be stored, so it is supplied with pipes from the source



LPG has a pungent odor


PNG is an odorless gas, but ethyl mercaptan is added as it provides easy detection by the users in case of a leakage



Though it is not as risky as LPG. PNG is also a flammable gas and if you are using it, there are certain precautions that you should take.

Precautions while using PNG 

The precautions that need to be observed are almost similar to that of LPG. Here are the points that you should keep in mind while using a piped natural gas.

Ventilation: Before using PNG, make sure the room has enough ventilation. Open the doors and windows, so that in case of any leakage, the gas would disperse quickly.

Leakage: A distinctive odor is added to the gas for easy identification. Also, if there is a hissing sound near a pipeline, it may indicate leaking natural gas.

If there is a leakage, close the valve that supplies gas to your stove and seek the help of your gas supplier. Do not light a match or a lighter or any naked flame. Do not move an electrical appliance or turn off or turn on an electrical appliance.

If you are going away for a long time, close all the valves that supply gas. This prevents accumulation of gas in your house in your absence.

Digging: Unlike LPG, PNG is supplied through underground gas lines that run to your house. So, in case of any digging work is taking place around your house, inform the gas company immediately. If you suspect any potential damage to the gas line, call the gas supplier immediately.

Asphyxiation:  Prolonged exposure to natural gas may lead to carbon mono-oxide poisoning and eventually death by asphyxiation. If there is a yellow, large and unsteady flame in your gas burner or if there is a pungent odor when you are using the gas, then there could be a presence of carbon monoxide. In such cases, contact your supplier immediately. It is also advisable to install carbon monoxide indicators in your kitchen.


Maintenance plays a key role in preventing accidents due to leakage and exposure to carbon monoxide.

  • Get your gas appliances checked regularly by a qualified technician from the gas company.
  • If there is any damage or repair to the gas appliances, have this checked only by the qualified technician.
  • Do not store or use any flammable products in the same room near the PNG. Such as LPG, paints, spray repellents, varnish, paints, cleaning products, etc. This will prevent any accidental ignition.
  • If there is a yellow, large and unsteady flame, call the gas company immediately.
  • Never use PNG and LPG in the same place.

PNG gas, like any other inflammable materials, needs us to be cautious and aware. It can be a boon and also a bane if we are not aware and careful. Treat all inflammable materials with utmost caution.


Fire safety tips for PNG users” – original article published by Beyond Carlton for Citizen Matters.




Post a Comment