Information on fire safety saves many lives. As a fire takes only 30 seconds to spread, it does not give enough time for you to react. Fires can happen anywhere. It can be your home, office, school or outdoor. A home fire safety checklist would help you to prevent fire at home.
The knowledge of fire and safety could prevent injuries and loss of lives.
Fire safety for high rise buildings varies from home fire safety. Fire safety requires greater clarity, as in the wake of an emergency, this would help us a lot to protect ourselves.
What are the basic fire safety measures that you should know?
Immaterial of the place, these are few tips that would help you in case of fire.
- Exit the building using fire exits. Do not use elevators.
- Be aware of the fire alarm sounds in places that you visit.
- Switch off any electrical equipment when it is not in use.
- Conduct fire safety drills at home and educate others on fire safety.
Home fire safety Checklist
Did you know? Most fire accidents at home occur in the kitchen. Nearly 50% of the home fires initiate in the kitchen. In order to prevent fire at home, you need to know the causes of fire and also how to act in case of fire.
- To keep your home fire safe, you need to install smoke alarms or a home fire extinguisher.
- Know how to use a fire extinguisher.
- Have a fire safety plan for your home and educate members of your family on fire safety. Carry out fire safety drills at home.
- Do not leave the gas stove, open flame like candles or diyas unattended.
- Never smoke indoors, especially on a bed.
- Get your home wiring done by a qualified electrician.
- Home fires also occur due to electrical appliances, wires, and fittings. Switch off electrical appliances when not in use.
- Do not overload a power board. Do not use extension cords for appliances like refrigerator, microwave and induction stove.
- Call an electrician in case if you get a rubbery smell while using an appliance or if the switchboards have a tingly sensation when you switch on.
Kitchen fire safety tips
- Keep kids away from gas stoves and microwaves while cooking.
- While using cooking oil, keep children away and use it in the right sized pans.
- Clean the hob and chimney regularly.
- Have a fire extinguisher installed and know how to use it.
- Tuck in the saree ends and duppatas well while cooking. Don’t keep the waste cloth or tissue rolls near gas stove.
- Read the safety instructions before using a new microwave oven. Use only microwave containers.
- Close the cylinder valve when not in use. Unused cylinders should be stored in a well-ventilated area. It should be stored upright. Do not use petrol or any other inflammable liquids near the cylinder.
- If a pan catches fire due to oil, don’t use water. With water, the fire would spread quickly and can cause severe burns. Instead, close the pan with a lid.
To spread awareness on fire and safety share it with your friends today.
Download the Home Fire Safety Checklist